Dion brings a calm, strategic and practical leadership style ensuring positive outcomes in even the most challenging of scenarios business owners face.
Dion has his own dairy farming interests in New Zealand and has consulted on a wide variety of agri-business projects within New Zealand and South America.
Dion has diverse experience in business leadership and management, from large herd management ranging in both scale and businesses structures, to restructuring and improving balance sheets with robust supporting management systems and dealing directly with financiers on farm business performance, profitability and compliance management and reporting.
Dion combines practical farming know-how and pragmatism along with international and national business experience across a range of different Agricultural assets.
Currently Dion is leading the establishment of a dairy farm operating business that today leases 3 farms across the wider Waikato region.
Dion holds a Diploma of Agriculture, a Diploma of Business Management, and a master’s degree in International Business from Waikato University and is a graduate of the Kellogg’s Leadership programme.
Dion enjoys active involvement with his 3 kids school, sporting and cultural activities and family time out boating and camping.
Experience and Recognition
· Over 20 years large scale dairy farm business management.
· Farm business ownership, establishing, growing and operating.
· Hands on Farm Management capability from leading and managing own farms, completing business turnaround projects and working in client businesses.
· Capital restructuring, refinancing and liquidation projects.
· Business crisis management and turn around projects.
· 2008 Australian Dairy Business of the year award (Northern Victoria winner)
A unique mix of big picture creative thinking and an uncanny eye for the detail that makes a real difference, Ryan is able to connect the dots to create efficient, productive performance systems for clients.
Ryan has a varied background of work experience with a common theme of strong systems thinking, creative problem solving and a focus on efficiency and performance.
A proven people leader, Ryan excels at developing united teams able to deliver performance efficiently together with a self-managing, high performance culture.
Ryan has worked in the dairy industry for over 12 years, from on-farm roles to farm business management to operations management leading a team of 6 large-scale Farm Managers. Ryan has also had experience in Farm Consulting.
His proven ability to navigate change, see through complexity and change to create simple, methodical performance systems ensures that businesses he works with find creative solutions that work to solve challenging problems.
Ryan has hands on experience of lean management tools and systems, organic dairy farm management, once a day milking systems and farm conversion and development.
Ryan lives in Taupo with his wife Sarah and two pre-school children. They are in the process of building their first home. Ryan is an avid cricket and general sports fan and a talented muso who can rock a great tune!
Experience and Recognition
· Over 12 years of farm and farm business management and leadership.
· Dairy Farm Operations Management; leading a team of 36 across 6 farms and 7,000 cows in the Central North Island
· Dairy Farm Manager leading an Organic conversion and Once A Day milking system conversion.
· Extensive experience developing farm performance plans and budgets.
· Extensive experience developing farm systems to achieve business compliance standards.
· Farm development project leadership and management.
· 2017 NZDI Awards – Winner of Manager in category, Strettons Employee Engagement Award and Westpac Financial Management and Planning Award.
· 2015 and 2017 Finalist in Central Plateau Region Farm Manager of the Year.
· Member of the ‘DairyNZ’ People Champion CO’s Group (specialising in and nurturing People skills)
· Member of Rural Razzle – A Taranaki initiative that encourages local farming communities to get together and get active.